Panasonic Energy of North America (PENA) is collaborating with Tesla Motors, Inc. in a large-scale advanced battery manufacturing facility known as the Gigafactory near Reno, Nevada which is known for its quality of life and expansive outdoor adventures. Panasonic manufactures and supplies cylindrical lithium-ion cells for the world's leading electric vehicle manufacturer, Tesla Motors, Inc. Based on the battery demand from Tesla, the Gigafactory plans to produce cells which will double the world's current production.
Our mission at PENA is to make the vision of affordable Electric Vehicles a reality by production of the world's safest, highest-quality, and lowest-cost batteries. Through this effort we will create a clean energy society and our products will change society's use of and perceptions of electric power.
Battery cell manufacturing process improvement for mass production lines.
* Being part of Panasonic's formation process. The formation group is responsible for the systems that carry out charging and discharging of the batteries under multiple sets of conditions.
* Conducts research and development work for battery cell formation and testing process to improve cell formation process on safety, quality, and productivity with new and existing production lines.
* Analyzes and evaluates battery cell electrical performance data collected in laboratory experiments and pre-production operations to determine direct and interaction effects of the formation equipment and processes under evaluation.
* Analyzes operating procedures and functions of battery cell formation equipment and process to reduce time and cost of formation processes.
* Performs root cause analysis to systematically identify and fix sources of defects.
* Provides engineering support to battery cell formation team and cell assembly production team to resolve manufacturing process issues.
* Works closely with safety and quality control teams to improve battery cell formation process on safety and quality issues.
* Works closely with other team members to increase understanding of failure modes, performance and life expectancy of cell products.
* Applies principles and knowledge of chemical engineering to solve environmental problems.
* Other duties may be assigned.
* Bachelor's degree (B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Electrochemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or related field) from four-year college or university.
* Experience including internship or curricular training in manufacturing environment, particularly with a lithium-ion battery cell formation and/or testing.
* Experience with battery cell formation process design and its influence on SEI analysis in laboratory.
* Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc).
* Strong verbal and written communication skills to facilitate successful interactions with team members and management.
* M.S. degree or higher in Chemical Engineering, Electrochemical Engineering, Materials Engineering, or related field is preferred.
* Experience with root cause analysis, defect reduction, and failure analysis. We must apply these evaluations to achieve our goal of zero defects.
* Strong programming, statistical, and data analysis skills with tools such as Python, MATLAB, and JMP are highly desired.
* 3+ years of experience working hands-on with lithium-ion batteries is strongly preferred.
* Experience on laboratory analysis using X-Ray, SEM, microscope, CMM or similar methods in lab is desired.
* Certifications or training in Six Sigma methodologies
In addition to an environment that's as innovative as our products, we offer competitive salaries and benefits. Panasonic is an Equal Opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to: race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. All qualified individuals are required to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
Pre-employment drug testing is required. Due to the high volume of responses, we will only be able to respond to candidates of interest. All candidates must have valid authorization to work in the U.S. Thank you for your interest in Panasonic Energy of North America.
Panasonic Energy of North America will not sponsor applicants for work visas for this position.
Location/Division:Nevada, USAJob Requisition:QK6787
Associated topics: cellular, dsp, image processing, lighting, msee, power, renewable, rf, stationary engineer, transmission