Reports to: All managers and trainers
There are 3 levels of responsibility below the Assistant Butcher position and each one of these jobs requires a sense of self and desire to learn more. Below is each level outlined and described as to their basic responsibilities.
As each of the positions within this group of support staff is hired, they all should have a desire to work closely with guests, improve their skills in the food industry and learn how to be the best butcher they can be. There are no short-cuts taken at E&R in any aspect, so too must the candidates prepare themselves to dedicate time and effort to E&R. We will not require a certain period of time, but no employee should expect to gain the most from their experience at Echo & Rig in less than a year.ssssss
Essential Functions: Must be willing and able to:
Contains two stages of work with Raw Protein (2 Legs 4 Legs) The apprentices will begin by learning about the animals in stages and work their way up to Beef. Advanced skills such as sausage making are included in this stage.
- Setting and Breaking cases
- Retail Item Stocking & Glass Cleaning
- Preparing items for customers
- Interacting directly with customers
- Preparing cut sheets for following day
- Grinding/Cutting/Setting Cases
- Sausage Making
Young Apprentices prepare ground meat blends, meat balls, cube meat for pies, and prepare other meat items at a stage where waste is minimal and all product is used. Knife work is developed as well as anatomy & basic care for products.
- Vegetable Butchery (Prepping for Customers)
- Cubing Meat
- Grinding Meat/Shaping Patties
- Learning to Tie/Truss
- Prepare Brines/Spice Mixes/Marinade
- Separation of Meat
- Grades of Fat/Lean ratios for Charcuterie/Sausages..etc
This is the beginning, the doorway. New employees, after learning the handbook and protocol on the floor, start as cashiers, restocking shelves first getting acquainted with products in the store and on the shelves.
- Re-stocking shelves
- Cleaning the shop
- Helping customers pay or with purchase decisions, asking for help
- Displaying discipline in station cleanliness, organization and communication.
- Learn to Wrap & Seal packages for Customers.
- Master Aloha System and how to enter and update scale weights/plu s/prices.
- Hands-On Experience
Below are a list of experience that is relative to each level. Nothing is required for employment, but a mark in the columns on the right signify the minimum a potential employee must posses to be considered.
Work with Whole Animal Production - Level 3
Charcuterie - Level 3
Breaking & Boning Animals - Level 3
Direct Retail Sales - Level 1, 2, and 3
Public Speaking- Level 1, 2 and 3
Willingness to Learn- Level 1, 2 and 3
Kitchen Experience- Level 2 and 3
Deli/ Butcher Shop- Level 1
Front of House- Restaurant Experience- Level 1
Point of Sales Experience- Level 1
Experience in fast paced work environment- Level 1
Experience in Specialty Store of Any Kind- Level 1
Passion for Food of Any Kind- Level 1
Accountabilities: Must be willing and able to:
Be an active team player
Follow supervisor s instructions
Perform under more than average stressful conditions
Make appropriate judgment calls under stressful condition
Maintain clean and orderly work area throughout shift and leave it ready for the following shift
Acquire and wear appropriate uniform as prescribed in the training manual
Maintain and clean uniform
Maintain a well-manicured appearance and persona that reflects the established image of the restaurant
Read and be accountable for the information in the Echo and Rig employee handbook
Currently attending or have graduated Culinary School
Refer a minimum of 6 months full service restaurant experience or the equivalent
Personality & Appearance
- Warm personality
- Welcoming/Great Smile/Eye Contact/Firm Handshake
- Good Memory/Attention to Detail
- Clean and well kept
- If Candidate has facial hair, it must be properly trimmed and clean.
- No Waxed or braided facial hair
- No visible piercings or rings other than a wedding band
- Hair is combed, and neatly cut, washed regularly and above the ears
- No visible or offensive tattoos
- Ability to Teach, to Lead & to Set Example
- Must provide 5 references
- Must provide examples (hard copies) of standards or operations documents that they implemented to increase some form of...
- sales/efficiency/cleanliness/education of staff and customers
- Positive Attitude
- Willingness to relocate
- Willingness to train a new staff to become advocates for E & R
- Good Public Speaker
- Humility & Morality
- Humble Confidences
Must be willing and able to:
Master English language sufficient to communicate effectively
Meet personal schedule requirements punctually
Project a friendly, courteous and pleasant attitude
Get along with co-workers
Provide a clean, well-manicured persona that reflects the established image of the restaurant
Safely transport containers that weigh up to 30 lbs. from any area to the dish washing area
Stand and/or walk for entire shift
Safely transport items to and from the kitchen on a slick and uneven surface
Transport dishes, bus tubs and/or trays from the dish washing area to any table in the restaurant and vise versa
Safely move about in all areas of the restaurant
Accept constructive criticism
Work a variable and flexible schedule which may include nights, weekends and holidays
Rules: The following are rules to recognize:
May not take or give away any unauthorized company property including food or beverage
May not work under the influence of alcohol or other mood altering substances
May not keep any unauthorized items in personal locker
May not resort to any physical violence or harassing behavior
May not eat or drink certain unauthorized items during a shift
Failure to abide by these and other conditions of employment of the company set forth elsewhere can subject an employee to disciplinary action including termination. Accessibility varies by location.
If you need any accommodation from the Company to enable you to perform essential job functions, please let us know at time of hire.
- 6 months of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common journals and recipes. Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers. Ability to effectively present information to top management.
- Nevada Department of Health certifications, HACCP guidelines and protocols
- Cooking, knife, and safety skills
- Analytical - Synthesizes complex or diverse information; Uses intuition and experience make decisions. Designs work flows and procedures.
- Design - Generates creative solutions; Translates concepts and information into images; Uses feedback to modify designs; Applies design principles; Demonstrates attention to detail.
- Problem Solving - Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Gathers and analyzes information skillfully; Develops alternative solutions; Works well in group problem solving situations; Uses reason even when dealing with emotional topics.
- Project Management - Communicates changes and progress; Completes projects on time and budget; Manages project team activities.
- Technical Skills - Assesses own strengths and weaknesses; Pursues training and development opportunities; Strives to continuously build knowledge and skills; Shares expertise with others.
- Customer Service - Manages difficult or emotional customer situations; Responds promptly to customer needs; Solicits customer feedback to improve service ; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Meets commitments.
- Interpersonal Skills - Focuses on solving conflict, not blaming; Maintains confidentiality; Listens to others without interrupting; Keeps emotions under control; Remains open to others' ideas and tries new things.
- Oral Communication - Speaks clearly and persuasively in positive or negative situations; Listens and gets clarification; Responds well to questions; Participates in meetings.
- Written Communication - Able to read and interpret written information.
- Teamwork - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed.
- Visionary Leadership - Displays passion and optimism; Inspires respect and trust; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates.
- Leadership - Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Accepts feedback from others; Gives appropriate recognition to others.
- Quality Management- Look for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness.
- Cost Consciousness - Works within approved budget; Develops and implements cost saving measures; Contributes to profits and revenue; Conserves organizational resources.
- Diversity - Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; Shows respect and sensitivity for cultural differences; Educates others on the value of diversity; Promotes a harassment-free environment; Builds a diverse workforce.
- Ethics - Treats people with respect; Keeps commitments; Inspires the trust of others; Works with integrity and ethically; Upholds organizational values.
- Organizational Support - Follows policies and procedures; Completes administrative tasks correctly and on time; Supports organization's goals and values; Benefits organization through outside activities; Supports affirmative action and respects diversity.
- Judgement - Displays willingness to make decisions; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Supports and explains reasoning for decisions; Includes appropriate people in decision-making process; Makes timely decisions.
- Motivation - Sets and achieves challenging goals; Demonstrates persistence and overcomes obstacles; Measures self against standard of excellence; Takes calculated risks to accomplish goals.
- Planning/Organizing - Prioritizes and plans work activities; Uses time efficiently; Plans for additional resources; Sets goals and objectives; Organizes or schedules other people and their tasks; Develops realistic action plans.
- Professionalism - Approaches others in a tactful manner; Reacts well under pressure; Treats others with respect and consideration regardless of their status or position; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Follows through on commitments.
- Quality - Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness; Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Applies feedback to improve performance; Monitors own work to ensure quality.
- Quantity - Meets productivity standards; Completes work in timely manner; Strives to increase productivity; Works quickly.
- Safety and Security - Observes safety and security procedures; Determines appropriate action beyond guidelines; Reports potentially unsafe conditions ; Uses equipment and materials properly.
- Adaptability - Adapts to changes in the work environment; Manages competing demands; Changes approach or method to best fit the situation; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events.
- Attendance/Punctuality - Is consistently at work and on time; Ensures work responsibilities are covered when absent; Arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
- Dependability - Follows instructions, responds to management direction; Takes responsibility for own actions; Keeps commitments; Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals.; Completes tasks on time or notifies appropriate person with an alternate plan.
- Initiative - Volunteers readily; Undertakes self-development activities; Seeks increased responsibilities; Takes independent actions and calculated risks; Looks for and takes advantage of opportunities; Asks for and offers help when needed.
- Innovation - Displays original thinking and creativity; Meets challenges with resourcefulness; Generates suggestions for improving work; Develops innovative approaches and ideas; Presents ideas and information in a manner that gets others' attention.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Frequently required to stand
- Frequently required to walk.
- Occasionally required to sit.
- Continually required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Continually required to reach with hands and arms.
- Occasionally required to stoop, kneel, or crawl
- Continually required to talk or hear.
- Continually required to taste or smell
- Occasionally required to lift heavy weights (50 pounds or less)
- Specific vision abilities required for this job include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral, depth, and ability to adjust or focus
- Exposure to wet and/or humid conditions
- Exposure to moving mechanical parts
- Exposure to outside weather conditions
- Exposure to extreme heat.
- Exposure to extreme cold.
- The noise level in the work environment usually is moderate.
More detail about Echo & Rig Butcher and Steakhouse, please visit